Myopia Laser Myopia Laser with the use of Femtosecond Lasik for myopia
Femtosecond Laser is an infrared laser used in myopia correction surgery. This system accurately emits pulses that last a tiny fraction of a second and replace the mechanical microkeratome of a conventional LASIK myopia procedure.
If you are looking for the best possible refractive laser surgery, Femtosecond Lasik with the Wavelight Refractive Suite is the best choice.
Myopia Correction Laser at EYE DAY CLINIC.
Our team, with its long experience in the myopia correction and with the best equipment in Greece, guarantees the best possible results, with safety and comfort.
Preoperative Evaluation for Myopia Lasik
A myopia laser candidate’s preoperative evaluation is the cornerstone of success in refractive surgery. During the preoperative evaluation, all the required data is collected to allow the refractive surgeon to determine if the patient is a good candidate for a refractive surgery and if the surgery will meet the patient’s expectations.
During the preoperative evaluation for laser eye surgery to treat myopia the following actions are performed:
- History taking for patient and their family. The patient’s history needs to be detailed and accurate. Any current and past diseases and medications need to be recorded, as does the existence of allergies. Furthermore, any previous surgeries or medications and conditions that may affect the healing of the corneal wound must be recorded.
- Ocular history taking. After personal and family history taking, the patient’s ocular history is taken, and any eye preparations the patient is taking or has taken in the past are recorded. The candidate is asked if they used to wear glasses, when they started wearing glasses and if they have ever worn contact lenses. Contact lenses may alter the shape of the anterior surface of the cornea and, therefore, patients must avoid wearing them both during the preoperative evaluation and prior to surgery.
- Visual acuity test. Determination of the myopia laser surgery candidate’s exact refractive error during the preoperative evaluation also determines the amount of the corneal stroma which needs to be removed to achieve the desired post-operative result. For this reason, our personnel are fully acquainted with the refractive error termination test; furthermore, the operating condition of the equipment used needs to be regularly checked.
Testing of pupillary responses and pupil diameter. Measurement of the pupil’s diameter is performed in scotopic conditions since there is an increased chance of visual problems at night if the diameter of the scotopic pupil exceeds the ablation zone.
- Intra-ocular pressure. The measurement of the intra-ocular pressure is performed after the refraction and the mapping of the cornea, so that any deformity of the cornea’s anterior surface resulting from contact with the applanation tonometer will not affect the preoperative measurements. Refractive surgery is counter indicated for patients with uncontrolled glaucoma, patients who take many medications or who require surgery to control intraocular pressure, or patients with advanced glaucoma, significant cupping of the optical cavity and concomitant scotomas in the examination of fields of view.
- Slit-lamp. The slit-lamp exam is an integral part of the pre-operative evaluation. Eyelid examination reveals the existence of blepharitis or any other conditions. Moreover, the tear film quality is assessed. The anterior chamber and the iris should be thoroughly examined.
- Cornea imaging. The curvature and the shape of the cornea can be evaluated using various cornea imaging methods, such as systems based on Placido’s disk or steepening of the cornea.
Pachymetry. The thickness of the cornea is a decisive factor when screening for patients for a myopia treatment laser surgery.
Informing the patient. After the full patient evaluation is complete and if it is determined that the patient fulfills the safety criteria for undergoing refractive surgery, the patient is fully and thoroughly informed and is requested to fill in a consent form.